Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Top 10 things to do with a fruitcake


Today I'm celebrating fruitcake day!

The fruitcake is often given during the holidays. It's been told that the fruitcake is "the most widely sold cake in the history of the planet." Last year alone, Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, Texas, sold almost 1 million DeLuxe fruitcakes, generating $35 million in sales. They shipped fruitcakes to 196 countries. Their fruitcakes are 80 percent fruit and nuts, with no artificial ingredients. From October - December, their staff grows from 60 to 700 and produce 30,000 fruitcakes each day.

I often wondered what all goes into a fruitcake, until I watched my Grandma Mc make them one year. My Mom loves them and I often try to find her some fruitcake for Christmas. I've never been a fan of fruitcake though. I'm not alone either. You can listen to the cute Fruit Cake Song! below:





As posted on YouTube by Flowgo

There are many approaches people who dislike fruitcake use to dispose of them. In Manitou Springs, Colorado they host an annual fruitcake toss competition. You can see highlights on YouTube. The I.F.R.U.I.T.E. team at Virginia Wesleyan College has identified many fun and unusual ways to dispose of the fruitcake. My top 10 favorites by Operation Fruitcake are listed below, with links to their YouTube videos:

Rocketry
Explosion
Incineration
Run over by a monster truck
Beating with golf clubs
Blow torching it
Hurled off a water tower
Blasted by an assault rifle
Grinding through a wood chipper
Freezing in liquid nitrogen

Thankfully, I did not get a fruitcake this year. If you did and you don't plan to eat it, post a comment and share what you did with yours!



Reference: http://www.americanprofile.com/article/19914.html and www.collinstreet.com

Photo credit:
Tippin' The Scales

No comments: