Monday, December 3, 2007

As music filled the air

Last week was a busy week, with 3 rehearsals, 1 service and 2 concerts in addition to catching up on work following my Thanksgiving vacation. However, it would not be Christmas for me without a celebration with music. Toss in a little drama and I really get excited. After many years of working behind the scenes with the tech crew, I had forgotten how fun it is to play the piano with an orchestra accompanying a large choir. It was an amazing experience of celebration as music filled the air.

The Christmas music program involved more than 35 in the orchestra and more than 70 voices, on my initial count. It was scheduled twice on Sunday, after


  • 12 rehearsals, planned by
  • 11 choir officers, with
  • 10 staff members for
  • 9 musical selections played by
  • 8 violins, violas, string bass
  • 7 brass (trumpet, french horn, trombone, euphonium)
  • 6 woodwinds (flute, piccolo, oboe, saxophone)
  • 5 musicians on rhythm (guitars, percussion, drums)
  • 4 cellists
  • 3 keyboardists (piano, organ, synthesizer) with
  • 2 conductors and
  • 1 guest artist


The evening of Christmas music at PPBC started with an orchestral piece celebrating The Sounds of Music. The choir processed in singing to A Christmas Hymn, and then sang with Joy, Joy about The One Amazing Night, Beneath His Father's Heaven with All Praise Rising about A Manager for His Throne, knowing the real reason and telling That's How He Came while encouraging all to Follow the Light. Luke Garrett, the special solo guest artist, sang on several of the songs and also sang some additional selections. The song All Praise Rising, whose words and music were written by Mr. Garrett, was the highlight of the program for me. The children's choir was also featured on one selection.

Today, I hope that you had the opportunity to enjoy the music and sounds of the season. Take the opportunity to share the celebration of this Christmas season through music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the post! You write very well. I really need to start a blog, even if i only get to write every week or so. I can put up some pics from Europe and England when I am there.