Saturday, January 5, 2008

Who's going to turn off the lights?


Today I'm celebrating the Twelfth Night holiday!

Twelfth Night is a holiday often celebrated the evening of the fifth of January to conclude the Twelve Days of Christmas. Some believe that all the Christmas decorations should be removed from the home on Twelfth Night (or the following day, Epiphany) to avoid bad luck. I don't know about your neighborhood but there are a record number of houses in mine with exterior Christmas lights and displays this year. My mom was always eager to pull down the lights and decorations on December 26. She apparently did not celebrate The Twelve Days of Christmas or wait until the Twelfth Night Holiday at our house. I did not have exterior lighting at my house this year, but my pre-lit tree (minus the decorations) is still up at my house (since I've been delayed a bit in taking things down due to some recent knee surgery). Tonight I'm going to turn on the tree lights one last time and enjoy a hot cup of cocoa with marshmallows (since I'm not a drinker and don't particularly like wassail) while making wishes for a speedy recovery and continued good health through 2008. I'm wondering who will turn off the Christmas lights on my street tonight.

This Christmas I've particularly enjoyed trolling the Web for animated light displays to include on my e-tour of holiday lights. There were so many neat videos, but so little time. In celebration of Twelfth Night and recognition that many of these animated light displays will be tucked away this evening or tomorrow until next Christmas, here are some of my favorites still on my list that I hope that you will take the time to enjoy:
Silent Night
Miracle on 34th Street
Music Box Dancer
Jingle Bells
Winter Wonderland
Amazing Grace

Today I hope that you celebrated the miracle from that silent, holy night... experienced the joys of receiving and giving through Christmas...enjoyed the music and bells during the holidays....stay warm and healthy through the winter wonderland...and know the true meaning of Christmas and the amazing grace available to you!


Image credit: CityNews, 680
YouTube videos: Posted by AgentJack13 of the Holdman Christmas Lights

No comments: