Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nothing much to say at all

It's National Nothing Day!

Today marks the 35th anniversary of National Nothing Day. This un-event was originally created by newspaper journalist, Harold Pullman Coffin and first observed in 1973. It was established "to provide Americans with one national day when they can just sit without celebrating, observing, or honoring anything." That seems strange, we're to celebrate nothing by celebrating National Nothing Day. I don't have much to say about this National Nothing Day. Other than, somebody didn't get the word about this holiday during the last 35 years. From my sources, I've found at least 8 observances designated for today, including:


  • Employee Appreciation Day
  • Maintenance Day
  • Apprentices Day
  • National Good Teen Day
  • US Prohibition Day
  • National Fig Newton Day
  • International Hot & Spicy Food Day
  • National Religious Freedom Day

I don't know about you, but I didn't get note from my manager today telling me how much he appreciates me. So, I guess he's actually celebrating this holiday. Although there's definitely some maintenance due around my house, I really don't have the time to do it today and will need to work on that during the weekend. I'll celebrate Apprentices Day tomorrow by watching Donald Trump and his celebrities. I realize there are many good teens, but we don't have any in our family. Since I don't drink, US Prohibition Day is not important to me. I don't like Fig Newtons, so I'm not going to observe that. I insist on celebrating International Hot & Spicy Food Day --- since we likely will go eat Mexican food tonight after choir practice, where we will be preparing for Sunday's worship services. By the way, we are able to worship due to the religious freedom guaranteed in this great Nation! I wonder if Mr Coffin knew that today is Religious Freedom Day when he selected today for National Nothing Day. Perhaps it wasn't designated at that time or maybe he thought nothing much about that at all. That would be sad -- so, in observance of the religious freedom so important to me, I have nothing much to say about his National Nothing Day.

Rather, today I'm choosing to celebrate one of Nation's most cherished values, the freedom to worship, which is protected by our Bill of Rights. Sadly this freedom is not experienced in many countries. Today, I encourage you to reflect on this great blessing. You can read the proclamation by the President of the United States of America about this observance.

Today, I will share with you one of my favorite songs, When you say nothing at all by Ronan Keating

As posted on YouTube by iftomorrownevercomes



Image credit:
The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission

References:
Smithsonian American Art Museum
National Religious Freedom Day Wikipedia entry
Religious Freedom Day

No comments: