Friday, January 11, 2008

The most important thing you can say


Today I'm celebrating International Thank You Day!

Thank you: an expression of appreciation for a thoughtful act or gift. Seems simple. However, so many just forget or overlook the importance of expressing thanks. When I grew up, I was taught the importance of being polite and saying thanks. We'd be corrected if we did not say "Thank you ma'am" or "Thank you sir." Those were also the days when young men were taught to open the door for ladies too. One of my brothers (who is one of the most polite persons I know) told me, after I routinely thanked him for opening the door for me as we walked into a store during the Thanksgiving holidays, that he always opens or holds the door open for ladies, but he is rarely thanked. So many times people just barge right through as if they were entitled to go through first without thinking that someone else took the time to open that door as a courtesy. It's a pet peeve of mine when people exit out the wrong door when there are two, obstructing others from entering because they think they have the right-of-way with an open door. However, if a guy opens the door for me, I feel obliged to go through it and thank him, regardless of which door was opened. However, it's rare that those doors are opened these days. Chivalry is hard to find. I guess it's a result of the days of feminism or lack of etiquette training. I distinctly recall my first grade teacher teaching manners to our classmates. She drove two boys and me to a birthday party that year. She taught those boys to go up to the door of my house and talk with my parents. They did not honk the horn and expect me to run out the door to meet them. She taught them to open the door for me, even the car door too. They were quite the young gentlemen. It definitely made an impression on my young mind.

Sending a thank you note is often forgotten. Here are a few tips:

  • Be prompt - send your note as quickly as possible. However, a late Thank You note is always better than no note at all. So, don't hesitate even if you feel that
    you're late.
  • Be sincere
  • Be personal - send a handwritten, personal note, addressing it to the giver directly
  • Be specific - reference the specific gift or act in the note. If the gift was money, don't specifically mention "cash" but instead thank the giver for their generosity.
  • Be nice - even if you dislike a gift, you should still show appreciation. You can always say something like "Thank you for the thoughtful (fill-in-the-blank).
    I will always think of you whenever I use it."

  • Plan your time - break up the list, scheduling time to write your thank you notes but make the time interesting too. Turn on your favorite music, get a nice cup of coffee or tea, and take some time to focus on the task. Involve your family and make it fun. The kids can be creative (e.g., drawing pictures of their gifts) and practice their writing skills.

      What not to do: Don't step on any toes in the process. For example, don't mention that you're going to return the gift for any reason. Also, don't mention that you received the same gift from someone else.

      I'm reminded today that it's great to be polite and express thanks. But, so often we forget to thank those who are closest to us. There are five words that are the most important words you can say today. These are also the most important five words that I bet you'd like to hear today. I posted below one of my favorite songs by Bon Jovi, which says it exactly, Thank You for Loving Me.

      As posted on YouTube by BonJovi011

      Today, I want to thank you for dropping by my blog. I encourage you to just see how many times you can take the opportunity to say Thanks today!
      Image credit: Jennifer Runner
    • No comments: