Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I'm making a list

Today I'm celebrating the New Year and my life list!


Happy New Year! Did you make any resolutions for 2008? Today's the day when we make a fresh start. Many make the traditional New Year's resolutions of the many things we hope to achieve during the next year. For some there are changes we hope to make. For others, the list has some neat new experiences. This year I'm been wondering how helpful these resolutions really have been. Do you know what was on your list last year? Did you complete them all? How long did it take before that list was forgotten?


About.com's Your Guide to Pittsburgh lists the top 10 New Year's resolutions:

1. Spend more time with family and friends

2. Get fit

3. Lose weight

4. Quit smoking

5. Enjoy life more

6. Quit drinking

7. Get out of debt

8. Learn something new

9. Help others

10. Get organized

Perhaps some of these items are on your list too.

This year, I'm thinking about a different approach. After signing all that legal paperwork for my recent knee surgery, I began to think about the things that I still wanted to accomplish in life before kicking the bucket. I've recently been inspired to think broader than the typical New Year's resolutions. In the past I've had a goal list, with both short-term and long-term targets. However, I completed most of the items on that list or gave up on those I felt were unattainable. Last week, I realized that I although I was not ready to go Home, I did not have a concise list of everything else that I wanted to experience or to do with the rest of my life. The new The Bucket List movie has also got me thinking too!

So, I've created a new wiki, Bucket Lists. On this site, you can create your own personal bucket list, your life list, of the things you want to experience and accomplish in the rest of your life. What better way to celebrate life than to dream big and put a plan in place to work toward those goals? You're probably thinking how can I create a list for my life when I can't manage the typical New Year's resolutions list? This new site is a place to log your list (to make it public) and to track your progress on achieving the goals. It's an opportunity to really think about what you want in life and to make a plan to achieve it. On the site, you can read the inspiring stories of others' whose lives have changed by their life lists. You can hopefully give and receive encouragement from others who are working on their life lists too.

When it's my time to go, I'd like to reflect mostly on my life's greatest moments than by its missed opportunities. Join me on the Bucket Lists site and add your life list or add some encouragement for someone else working on life goals.

Today I hope that you celebrate life and not only think about what you want to do during your next 30 years but live today like you're dying.

Here's the music video of Tim McGraw singing Live Like You Were Dying to inspire you.

As posted on YouTube by IAMNOTREAL21

Image credit: Academie de Nancy-Metz per the PinoyBlog

No comments: