Sunday, March 9, 2008

Spin and win!

Today I'm celebrating the birthday of Danny Sullivan

On this date in 1950 Indy car racer Danny Sullivan was born in Louisville, Kentucky. Sullivan dominated Indy Car racing in the 1980s. The Auto Channel once described Sullivan in his heyday: he had the classic good looks of a Cary Grant, the schoolboy image of a Robert Redford, the oratory skills of David Frost and the nerve of Chuck Yeager.

Sullivan is likely most remembered for his win of the 1985 Indy 500 after a full-circle spin on the track. I don't think I'll ever forget seeing that red and white Penske car spinning through 360 degreees between turns one and two at Indy after passing Mario Andretti for the lead in the race's 120th lap. After returning from the pits where all four tires were changed, I was ecstatic to see Sullivan return to the track and pass Andretti a second time 20 laps later to go on for the win. You can see that memorable spin right here:

As posted on YouTube by IcedBudweiser
You can watch the final laps and his victory at the 1985 Indy 500 also on YouTube.

Some drivers perform a variety of jobs before becoming famous on the racetrack. I'm currently cheering for Carl Edwards, who was a substitute teacher before racing for Nascar (having spent my time in the classroom too). Danny Sullivan likely worked the most number of unusual jobs for the racecar drivers I know, having worked as a cab driver, a waiter at Maxwell Plum's, a lumberjack in the Adirondacks, and a chicken ranch hand before his racing career. After racing, he tried acting (with appearances on Miami Vice and All My Children), being a racing spokesperson, and a television racing correspondent.

I've been a racing fan all my life. I especially like open-wheel racing. However, I'm worried about the future of open-wheel racing in the US. I never liked the Indy Car split into CART and IRL racing leagues. I'm now concerned about the open-wheel drivers fleeing to careers in the lucrative Nascar world and what impact it will have. Apparently I'm not alone in believing that there should be an end to any old feud and a merger for the best future of the sport. Here's a link to a Jim Clash interview with Danny Sullivan, where he talks about what is needed for open wheel racing to take on Nascar. I wonder if it's too late. Here's a favorite video of mine on Indy:
I am Indy

Add to My Profile More Videos
As posted on
MySpaceTV videos


Happy racing!


Image credit: This pic is all around the Net and I don't know its source, but I got it from Andesign with Google Images

No comments: