Monday, March 31, 2008

I've got a beautiful feeling everything's going' my way

Today I'm celebrating the anniversary of the opening of the musical Oklahoma! on Broadway

Oklahoma! is the first musical play composed by Rodgers and Hammerstein. The original Broadway production opened forty-five years ago on March 31, 1943. It was a box-office smash. It ran for a then unprecedented 2,212 performances. There have been award-winning revivals, national tours and an Academy Award-winning 1955 film adaptation. There have been many awards from 1947 - 2002 for productions of Oklahoma!

The musical is set in the Oklahoma Territory outside the town of Claremore in 1906. It tells the story of cowboy Curly McLain and his romance with farmer girl Laurey Williams. Their love is challenged by a threatening farmhand, Jud Fry. Much of the play follows the tension generated by this conflict.

This is one of my favorite musicals of all time. You likely too have seen the original movie or a production of the musical in your area. I have several favorite songs from the musical. I can't decide which I like best! So, I posted three below, featuring a favorite performer of mine, Hugh Jackman.

Oklahoma!



As posted on YouTube by Julchen68

Oh What a Beautiful Morning



As posted on YouTube by BestArts

And, you can't forget the practical tips that can still be used today from
People will say we're in love



As posted on YouTube by BestArts

Today I hope that you had a beautiful morning and everything is going your way!

Reference: Wikipedia article
Image credit: Poster advertising Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical Oklahoma! (1943) from Encyclopedia Britannica Online

No comments: