Thursday, November 29, 2007

Put your feet in the air and move them around


Today I'm celebrating Square Dance Day!


Square dancing is an American folk dance which is called, cued, or prompted to the dancers. It involves couples dancing in circles or square formations. It is very popular in the US, with 19 states naming it as their state dance. California reports that it leads the nation with more than 200,000 residents square dancing weekly. I've been told that it's lively, quick, and fun. I'm never been much of a square dancing fan. Maybe it's that dress! Or maybe it's my two left feet! Anyway, I'd much rather cut the rug with a fun Texas two-step or a line dance instead.

This is one holiday that I almost passed until I found the two following videos. You just can't pass without peeking at these videos. One is of a square dance that you're not likely to find at your local community center. The second is actually a Christmas square dance in Japan. You can also visit YouTube to see another Christmas square dance from Florida.

Tractor Square Dancing



As posted on YouTube by PCNTV

A Christmas square dance in Japan


As posted on YouTube by wetravel2dance

Fred Astaire once said, "I have no desire to prove anything by dancing. I have never used it as an outlet or a means of expressing myself. I just dance. I just put my feet in the air and move them around. " One of my favorite songs is I hope you dance by Lee Ann Womack and you can see her video below and on YouTube.

My wish for you today is that you not sit it out, but rather you find the time during this holiday season to simply put your feet in the air and move them around, giving faith a chance and celebrating life -- even if square dancing is not your thing!

I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack



As posted on YouTube by virgilcain

Reference and image credit: California State Library

No comments: