Monday, April 19, 2010

On the run


Today I'm celebrating the first running of the Boston Marathon in 1897, inspired by the marathon at the first modern Olympics Games in Athens earlier in 1896.

I'm definitely not going to compete in the Boston Marathon, the local Cowtown Marathon or any footrace. However, I feel that I'm a very avid runner. After all, I have a lot of experience in running:

  • In my early career, I found many bugs while running test cases
  • As an programmer, I spent a lot of time running the code
  • For pageants, I create the running order
  • I can often be found on a headset running the show
  • While stuck in a six-hour gas line after Hurricane Katrina with my cousin, we never felt that we were running out of stories to tell each other
  • Back on the farm, it's fun to hear that we'll be running to town
  • After cooking a large meal for guests, I'm running the dishwasher several times
  • Last week I answered the phone, missing loading all the clothes for the wash cycle while the washing machine was running
  • I spend my time on many Saturdays running errands
  • I no longer have the task of running the vacuum with my new floors
  • It feels like I've been running in circles trying to fix my icemaker
  • It seems that I'm too often running a little behind schedule
  • I'm running with the pack of employees trying to stay employed until retirement
  • I regretfully am guilty of locking my keys in the car while the engine was running
  • Thankfully, my little brother came running at my call for help
  • My Mom cautioned me as a teenager about the dangers of running with the wrong crowd
  • I've been the unlucky one to take a cold shower because those before me were running the hot water too long
  • I once barely made it to the gas station, running the car on empty
  • I wonder if the parents in the neighborhood know where their kids are -- they seem to always be running the streets
  • When I'm home for the holidays, on most days I'm running to the grocery store
  • My neighbor once did not think anything was wrong, even though two guys were seen with my stolen electronics wrapped in sheets, running across her yard
  • I'm too often concerned about running out of money if I get to retire (foolishly forgetting that I need not worry, remembering the lilies in the field)
  • Scheduling events for a group is sometimes challenging, running down my friends to discuss availability
  • I try to make wise decisions while running the risks
  • I rarely have a cold, but I endure it, running its course
  • Time is running out on several nice coupons I recently received
  • I'm running out of reasons why I'm not riding the bike more often
  • I would have missed one flight, but a colleague told the flight attendant that I was running through the airport
  • I am often reminded that my computer has been running too long
  • I have several friends who are faithful -- and will come running when needed
  • By the end of the weekend, it felt like I was running out of steam
  • I'm almost running out of patience with the repairs due by my gas company
  • I often worry about who is running our country

    It occurred to me that people spend a lot of time running. So many we know are running ahead of their bills, running out of money, running for their lives, running from their problems, and simply running away. We hear of others who are obsessed with running to meet short-term and long-term goals, but seemingly missing the joys of life along the way. Many are running so hard, just to keep up with the Jones' too. I recently saw an interesting statement:
    All men should strive to learn before they die, what they are running from, and to, and why.

    I recently heard a nice song by No Doubt that you may enjoy. However, for those who seem to be running with no purpose or running astray, Reuben Studdard sings a song that may bring hope today.

    Photo credit: Associated Press, 2009

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I so love your blog!!!! This past week, I've been running "mission control" after an Anoxic Injury Network board member and friend in Arizona offered a hospital bed for my daughter. I plotted the journey, planned the trip, reserved rooms along the 2000 mile trip, rented a Uhaul, hired laborers, and printed maps. All was done right here at my computer. Two of my grandsons made the trip, beginning Friday, and I have tracked them thru their cell phones on Sprint Family locator. When one left his cell phone in a Chevron restroom, I was able to track the thief's activities until I had the phone shut off. Yes, all thru "Mission Control". Now the boys are on the way home, so here I am....still running it from a thousand miles away.

I want to celebrate the Internet (which might make us say "Thank you, Al Gore") as I couldn't have done any of this without the internet. I want to celebrate online friendships---I am SO grateful for the dear friends I have met online...true and long lasting friendships. Some I have finally met in person and some I hope to meet in person. But meanwhile we meet "online".

I want to celebrate Prayer Power, too. An online and inperson friend prayed for us a few years ago....she asked what we might need and I told her a REAL hospital bed. She said she'd take it to her prayer group. It was a long series of events that finally got that prayer answered, some of them tragic even. We had long forgotten that prayer, even. But God didn't. He caused a cell phone in the back pocket of someone who kept moving in just the right way, to keep dialing my phone number all day. No one there, just talking in the background....so I finally called the number back. And He caused the man on the other end of the line to offer me a hospital bed for Elizabeth, among many other things.

And I want you celebrate "I Just Want to Celebrate" for all the posts that keep reminding me to feel blessed and CELEBRATE our lives. I've posted your blog's link on my message board and some of the links or recipes you've put on here. It's a wonderful blog!!! I sure love it. Thank you so much for the effort and love that goes into your posts.