Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sweating the details

Today I should be sweating to National Employee Health and Fitness Day!

After working almost twelve hours today and scrambling to figure out what I would do for dinner and how I'd fit everything on my plan for the evening in the short remaining hours, I began to sweat the details. Well, that could also be due to the 95+ degree heat of the day here too. I looked on the calendar thinking how late I am on my blogposts and noticed today's holiday. Today is National Employee Health and Fitness Day. I was reminded of my Mom's gentle 'urging' just last night to stop work on time and hit the health club. I also then recalled two nagging reminders in my InBox about the very topic. My company reimburses employees a small portion of our healthcare premiums if we participate in employee health and fitness programs. Well, of course, I am running late in completing the work required to get the rebates. As I was sweating the completion of the presentation for tomorrow's meeting, the 2008 budget outlook, and a preliminary plan for 2009, I should have been sweating to the oldies, burning shoe rubber on my treadmill, or banking some miles on the bike. I'm not a big fan of sweating, but I definitely need to make this a priority, right away!

Here are a few of my favorite quotes about sweating:

  • Nothing but blood, toil, tears,and sweat ~Winston Churchill
  • Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things ~ George Carlin
  • Nobody ever drowned in his own sweat ~Ann Landers
  • Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff .(disputed)
  • A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work. ~Colin Powell
  • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. ~Charlie Finley

These are definitely some things to think about --- either while toiling over the project plan deadlines or on the treadmill. Oh, the balancing act required to be successful in all these areas. I'm definitely going to feel like a slug if I mess up and don't get those rebates. Thinking of slugs, I found a cute video to remind me not to be a slug about this!

Gonna make slugs sweat




As posted on YouTube by chu2007

Image credit: Tennessee Dept. of Health

No comments: