Thursday, May 8, 2008

It's the real thing

Today I'm celebrating "Have a Coke Day"

Coca-cola is definitely my favorite carbonated soft drink. I'm such a serious fan that if I had to drink a Pepsi, then I'd rather just do without a beverage. Coke is also my favorite source of caffeine, besides chocolate, that is. On any early Saturday morning at the ballpark watching my nephews play baseball, you may hear me say "I prefer my caffeine cold" and you won't catch me with one of those iced coffee drinks either. If I can't have a Barq's root beer in the bottle (a Southern favorite), then give me a Coke. And, give me the real thing -- the original classic version.

It's especially challenging to travel on business in some areas around NY / CT, "smack in the middle" of Pepsi country. It's sometimes difficult to find a real Coca-Cola in the vending machines or restaurants in that area. If I'm traveling in the area, I always hope that I have a rental car so that I can drop by a convenience store to buy my supply of Coke while there. When I find a real Coke machine, you might catch me buying a couple to stash in my computer case to take back to the hotel with me.

In the South, the term "coke" often has a broader meaning than what you'd think. It is often used in a generic sense to refer to any carbonated beverage or soft drink. You may hear, "You want a coke? what kind?" --- and they are not just talking about Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Coca-Cola Zero, Vanilla Coke, or any other Coca-Cola product. There may actually be an entire selection of various soft drink brands available, and not only those from the Coca-Cola company either. That likely wouldn't happen in most other areas of the country though -- where you may be asked if you'd like a soda, pop, or a soft drink. (A true give-away that you're really not from the South would be asking for soda or pop.)

When you think about great commercials, there are several Coke commercials that many will recall. Here are two from the past that I hope you will enjoy again:

"I'd like to teach the world to sing"



As posted on YouTube by desireless

One with Mean Joe Green



As posted on YouTube by Upstroker1

Today, I hope that you enjoy your day --- Have a Coke and a smile!

No comments: