Tuesday, April 22, 2008

She crossed the line

Today I'm celebrating the first victory by a woman in open-wheel racing

She finally crossed the line and crossed it first. I've been an open wheel racing fan most of my life. I'm sure you've all heard by now that Danica Patrick finally got her first win at Twin Ring Motegi in the Indy Japan 300 on Sunday, April 20. It was a historical event: the first victory by a woman in open-wheel racing. It occurred during her fourth full season and in her 50th career start in the IRL IndyCar Series. Many are attributing the win to fuel conservation over smart driving, but that's an important challenge. I've seen many slow to a crawl in the final lap due to lack of fuel. The Andretti Green Racing team strategy paid off for Patrick. She is now third in the standings and some say she has thoughts of a championship swirling in her head. It's a nice thought, but its her first win in 50 races and I'm not betting the farm on this one.

Even before her win this weekend, there has been a lot of press about Danica Patrick. Danica Patrick raced for Rahal Lettermanin 2005-2006, but left to Andretti Green Racing in 2007. I've often wondered about that move and why she chose to leave the team that had the confidence in her to launch her career. Within the racing community there's been a lot of talk about why she had not won before Japan 2008 and when she might win. Of course, then there's the controversy that her low body weight of 100 pounds at 5 ft. 2 in. gave her an advantage where engine size and car weight are stictly regulated. That's no longer an issue with the rule change in 2008 where the minimun weight of the car now includes the driver. There's also been some reported sexist remarks from fellow drivers across the motor sports. When tempers flair among drivers, hers is likely to get some attention, along with some sexist remarks. However, I've often thought myself that she was kind of whiney, has shown a temper trantrum or two, and generally cites the other guy's fault when there's a problem. She's not really demonstrated the emotional control that I would expect from someone who can control an automobile among traffic at that high rate of speed. However, I've seen some of the guys shove each other and nearly come to blows during many races. I'm sure they may be in a quandry of what to do when confronted by her. I was particularly amused by her confrontation with Dan Wheldon and you can see a video of it below.


As posted on YouTube by mikezwet

I personally think that those sexist remarks might be somewhat a result of her unique marketing strategy. I'm not the first to notice her "apparent willingness to be marketed on her looks rather than her achievements" especially with her posing for FHM and recently in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. Danica's not the first to compete with the boys in open-wheel racing. Janet Guthrie, Lyn St. James and Sarah Fisher paved the way before Danica. Although I know there was some criticism of these ladies, I recall it being quite different than it has been with Danica: I don't think it's so much her skill in driving as her poses for FHM and the overall marketing glitz. Judging from those FHM photos, I wonder why she would expect to be treated as a professional equal by the other racers. Don't worry, I don't think we'll see Danica on the next season of Dancing with the Stars (as Helio Castroneves did). However, as most drivers love that pole position, judging from her photos we're more likely to hear of her dancing --- but instead at club, one with a pole. I know that seems kind of harsh -- especially for my blog.


Like the title of the song used in the fan video posted below, my thoughts mostly of Danica have been "just shut up and drive"

As posted on YouTube by nikkithunder

Today, I am really glad to celebrate this historical event in open-wheel racing. I just wish that the historic event had been accomplished by Janet, Lyn or Sarah. I still think Danica Patrick has crossed the line one too many times -- and I'm not talking about that finish line. I also wish that it had been done with a little more class. Tonight I'm wondering if Dave Letterman will invite Danica to his show to talk about her win --- we'll see.

Image credits: autoracingdaily.com and FHM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting this! danica rules. have you see her online show?!
motodanica.com, it's really cute :]