Sunday, February 24, 2008

And the Oscar goes to ... YouTube


Yes, tonight is the annual Academy Awards show. Outstanding film achievements of 2007 will be presented tonight at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood and televised in more than 200 countries worldwide. Many watch prior to the ceremony to see both the good and bad styles on the red carpet. Others watch to hear the wit of the host. Many also watch to see the presenters, which include Jessica Alba, Cate Blanchett, Josh Brolin, Steve Carell, George Clooney, Penelope Cruz, Miley Cyrus, McSteamy (I mean Patrick Dempsey), Colin Farrell, Harrison Ford, Jennifer Garner, Tom Hanks, Jennifer Hudson, Nicole Kidman, Queen Latifah, Hilary Swank, John Travolta, Denzel Whitaker, Forest Whitaker, and Renee Zellweger, just to name a few.

What's new with the Oscars this year? Although there are lots of videos on YouTube about the Oscar nominations and predictions, I hear that an Oscar channel is being launched on YouTube for the event this year. From there, we are supposed to be able to view show highlights and exclusive video interviews. I haven't seen it yet though, but YouTube was a bit buggy earlier today. Check later tonight or tomorrow to see what they will post.

This year there is also an opportunity to play "Predict the winners"
online and be eligible to win a stunning diamond prize package. However, I'm not sure if this contest is new this year or not.

I go to the movies very often, but it's always frustrating when I realize how few movies on the awards list that I have seen. This is not the first year that has occurred either. Looking at the entire list of films nominated, I've only seen seven of them. Ok, parts of seven of them. At least two of the films were seen after incredibly long weeks of work and I must admit that I missed a couple of
parts as I sat down in the cozy, dark theater. I guess that's why I pay for the premium channels -- I'll eventually get to see the entire movie.

Well, if you are pumped for the show tonight, you might want to check out the following sites:
The official site for tonight's show
For a listing of the nominees
The official database site for past Academy Award winners and nominees
The Ultimate Oscar Quiz on moviefone
Oscar Nominees before they were stars on moviefone


Tonight, I'm not sure that I'll be watching the Oscars this year. I have not yet accepted the invitation to the Oscar party hosted by my friend. I may just spend some time happily working on one of my wikis while watching the program. Since I mostly enjoy learning who wins the Oscar for best original song, I think you may enjoy seeing video clips of the nominated songs. Mathematically, something from Enchanted is most likely to be a winner, but you never know, especially since the winners are selected through opinions of the voters.

Happy Working Song from Enchanted, posted by drasaildig


The scene where you hear So Close from Enchanted, posted by PlayingforOnlyTwo


That's How You Know from Enchanted, as posted by Tennor1


Raise it Up from August Rush, as posted by NathanH83


Falling Slowly from Once, as posted by FoxSearchlight


Image credit: I got it from the Gazette Film Blog through Google Images, but I doubt that it originated from them

No comments: